Astute Business Litigation Attorney Resolves Complex Disputes
Richard Kaufman, Attorney-at-Law, litigates on behalf of your business
If you engage in commerce, sooner or later you are almost certain to encounter a dispute with a client or contractor that you’ll need outside help to resolve. Richard Kaufman, Attorney-at-Law, assists businesses through alternative dispute resolution and civil court trials in both state and federal court. I am qualified to handle matters related to:
- Antitrust, unfair practices, and trade regulation violations
- Banking and creditor issues, including lender liability
- Breach of contract
- Breach of warranty
- Business torts
- Construction law
- Environmental law
- Product liability
- Professional liability
- Real estate
- Toxic tort
- Intellectual property, including copyright and trademark infringement
- Partnership and shareholder disputes
You can rely on my knowledge and experience as I work to resolve your business disputes.
Recovery from breach of contract
When a party to a contract fails to perform, he damages the other business. This damage often goes beyond the immediate inconvenience of getting less than promised by the contract. The breach can also cost you future profits if you are unable to serve your clients as a result. There are a variety of legal remedies that provide either monetary damages or equitable relief, such as:
- Compensatory damages – Reimbursement for immediate monetary loss
- Consequential and incidental damages – Compensation for additional foreseeable losses caused by the breach
- Attorney fees and costs – Amounts available only if the contract expressly states they are recoverable
- Liquidated damages – Amounts specified in the contract that are payable for particular breaches, such as late or substandard performance
- Specific performance – Court order requiring the breaching party to fulfill the terms of the contract
- Punitive damages – Penalty for a party’s objectionable behavior, meant to punish the breaching party and discourage other parties from acting in a similar manner
- Rescission – Cancellation of the contract, with both sides excused from further performance and payments made under the contract returned
- Reformation – Change in the terms of the contract when the court believes there was an honest misunderstanding by the parties about what was to be performed
As your legal representative, I can help you achieve the best legal remedy for a breach of contract.
Affordable alternatives to a civil suit
The cost of traditional litigation can easily exceed the amount of the contract. Fortunately, there are various means of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including mediation and arbitration, which are less costly and quicker than civil lawsuits, but can deliver the same remedies. I have successfully represented clients in arbitration and mediation hearings, and have settled lawsuits prior to trial, saving my clients expenses and getting their businesses back on track.
Contact a dependable Indianapolis law firm to get your business moving again
If your business has been damaged by someone else’s conduct, you need to take action. Delaying the exercise of your rights could mean losing them. Recovering damages could mean the difference between profitability and insolvency for your company. Contact me online or call Richard Kaufman, Attorney-at-Law, at 317-469-9741 to schedule a consultation.